Re: Transmission

To: rimshot@a-znet.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Transmission
From: Keith0alan@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 17:35:44 EDT
Joe,

       The must check item is the cluster gear shaft and bearings. After the
oil is drained and the trans is pulled roll it over and pull the bottom plate
and the front cover. Those two gaskets are still available from Nissan. The
cluster gear shaft should pull right out while you hold the cluster gear. Watch
for the two thrust washers ar the ends of the cluster gear. The shaft is
chrome plated. If the chrome is worn through it is time for a new shaft and
bearings. Check with the various list suppliers for shafts and bearings, I
don't
think Nissan has any left. What will happen as the shaft wears is the gear will
cock out of alignment. Eventually you start shedding teeth from the cluster
gear. Then it's time for a new shaft, bearings and cluster gear (very
expensive).
As far a I know that is the only real weak point to check for.

keith williams