Can I recurve distributor, "rejet" carbs and KEEP smog pump?

To: Datsun Roadster Forum <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Can I recurve distributor, "rejet" carbs and KEEP smog pump?
From: Bill Engelhardt <bengelhardt@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 13:55:32 -0700
It's time to rebuild the carbs (SU's) on my 1970 2000.  As I understand it,
my car will run better if I install pre-smog needles and then recurve the
distributor to pre-smog specs.  Can I do these things and keep the smog pump
or do I have to remove the pump to get any benefit?  I'm inclined to leave
the smog pump in order to ease my conscience (I assume that there is an
ecological benefit to having one) and because I'd rather spend my energy
doing other things to my roadster.

Bill Engelhardt
1970 2000
Oakland, CA