Re: Master Cylinder storage

To: "Fred Davidson" <fred.davidson@sympatico.ca>,
Subject: Re: Master Cylinder storage
From: Stan Chernoff <az589@lafn.org>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:27:43 -0700
For an almost new cylinder that has been used with DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake
fluid I would recommend disassembling the cylinder and washing it carefully
with alcohol and then drying all of the pieces.  This is a good opportunity
to inspect the parts for wear or damage.  Before reassembly I would use
some hydraulic cylinder assembly fluid and put liberally it on all of the
parts including the housing bore.  Then carefully reassemble the unit and
store it in a sealed plastic bag.  I have used fluid made by a company
called EIS or at least that was the brand name.  It is made for the
purpose.  It is compatible with regular brake fluid and acts as a lubricant.

Probably available at real auto supply stores and maybe at PepBoys or
Autozone.

Stan
======