Leaking rear main seal vs. clutch slippage...

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Leaking rear main seal vs. clutch slippage...
From: "Mark" <mark@JELLOFISH.net>
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 18:23:29 -0700
FWIW, My seal has leaked a lot for years and the clutch has yet to be
affected.  Often, when oil gets on the disc, it will chatter when you first
accelerate.

I don't recall if you said how your clutch was adjusted before YOU adjusted
it.  Was it too tight (no freeplay at the slave)?  If so, you may have
glazed it from constant slippage.  An old trick the Germans taught me was to
blow a coupla tablespoons of Ajax up in there while the other guy is working
the pedal in and out at idle.  Use a long tube, precharged with the cleanser
and do not inhale!  It will dry (temporarily) wet oil (if any) and break a
glaze, sometimes resurrecting a thought-to-be-shot clutch.  Works with
brakes to stop squeaks, too.

The bummer is, yours sounds like you might need to yank the
powerplantgearbox and replace the clutch assembly.  Hope not, but if so...

...good luck!

Mark in Modesto