Re: interior restoration

To: "J Sylvester" <jsylvester3136@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: interior restoration
From: Leigh Brooks <shifty@shiftco.com>
Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 19:37:54 -0700
I'm almost finished with the interior on my '68 1600.

I believe that POR requires a top coat of paint if exposed to sunlight,
probably not an issue on the interior - I used the rust convertor from
Eastwood. I brushed it on, but next time I'll use the spray can - much
faster! If you have a paint gun, even better!

Stripping the sound deadener material can be a real pain. I chipped
mine out with a hammer and chisel. Gordon just passed on a tip you
might try. Fill the floor boards with dry ice. Let it get nice and
cold, then use a hammer from behind to shock the stuff loose.

I used some cheap aluminum-backed insulation and it went in pretty
well. It was too thick though, and caused some problems fitting the
trim panels and cardboard under the dash. Use something very thin!

SEM vinyl dye did a great job on the dash, console and trim panel
around the rear of the cockpit. Make sure to clean the parts well. I've
heard of good results on seats and door panels.

I used black wrinkle-finish paint on the console face and shift plate.
Glob it on very thick in two coats and after about 12 hours it looks
nice and wrinkly. Powder coating is another option.

I posted some pictures a few days ago of the interior work I have done
so far - http://shiftco.com/features/the_rat/rat_015.html

Good luck and keep us posted!

Leigh Brooks
NWDE