Re: Z trany

To: Steve Ehlers <stevenehlers@charter.net>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Z trany
From: Stan Chernoff <az589@lafn.org>
Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 10:01:37 -0700
Hi Lou,

It seems that Steve has taken the opportunity to expound on his ignorance
and be contrary while questioning the information that I provided.  Now
that his old shop was supposed to be closed he may have time to do a bit of
research.

There is a main case that can replace the one on a 2 piece case 280Z 5
speed "B" box that will bolt to a roadster engine and have the starter
located on the left side of the engine.  That is the one that I was talking
about.

No, I did not mistakenly consider "A" type trans parts such as used in
roadster 5 speeds and early 240Z 4 speeds.  These transmissions had 3 piece
cases.

I have seen a roadster that used the 280Z trans where the main case had
been changed and it fit and ran fine.

The main case that I am discussing is no longer available from Nissan USA
but can be found used in junkyards and other places.  The part number of
the case is 32101-E9112.  The case can also be used to convert a direct
drive racing "B" box 5-speed to fit a roadster engine.

I have one of these cases and a 280Z 5 speed that I will assemble for a
roadster.

Stan