Report re: 2 cylinder 2000 solex problem

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Report re: 2 cylinder 2000 solex problem
From: Geegc@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 16:23:27 -0400
Latest on the mystery 2 cylinder Solex Datsun:

Took it to the mechanic Sunday:

1.  Still idles only on the 2 & 3, plugs 1 & 4 could be disconnected w/o any
change, but will run on all 4 at high RPM, though not well.
2.  Compression is fine, timing is spot on.
3.  Valves seem fine, took off the cover, chain OK as well.
4.  Carb jets seem ok, took them out, blew compressed air through them.
5.  Dizzy is OK, changed to a spare w/o the electronics, no difference.
6.  New plugs, new spark plug wires, no diffeerence.
7.  Carb backing plate on correctly, vent holes not plugged. (We had thought
this was the problem)
8.  May try and bolt on a pair of SUs to see what it is.
9.  Left it at the mechanics.'  If I get lucky someone will steal it.

Anyway, watch this space for further details.  Perhaps the car needs an
exorcism.

Driving the red 1600 for now, who the hell invented Solexes anyway?

Gary C