Drivers school - Day 2 & 3

To: "Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Drivers school - Day 2 & 3
From: "Paul" <9laser3@bright.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Apr 2004 18:36:46 -0400
  Got in too late last night to write, sorry.  Day 2 at Nelson Ledges Race
track was an adventure.  Jim and Cathy Sloan spent their entire Friday
night/Saturday morning, getting Teddy's blown motor out and replaced.  Since
we didn't have another race motor prepared, my old 1600 motor went back in
Teddy's car with the race carbs and exhaust and a ultra close 5 speed.  What
he lost in horse power he quickly made up for in smooth driving.  Teddy was
able to complete the weekend sessions without further damage, and was given
credit for completing 1 school; lacking only seat time to have successfully
completed the second school.
  My car was running great Saturday and I wasted little time in overcoming
my fears of going through a corner door-to-door with another car.  In fact
since all the cars on the track were supposed to be faster classes than out
Datsuns, it was great fun to tuck in underneath one of them for a pass in a
tight corner.  While most of them were capable of pulling us down the
straights, we certainly passed our share in the corners!  But I managed to
cook my motor Saturday, last session.  It looked okay so we fixed a few
little items and changed the oil.  Sunday morning's first session felt good.
I learned to keep my foot flat on the floor through several turns and the
car felt good.  But I was beginning to lose some power by the end of the 25
minute session.  My ace crew, Jim Sloan ands Chris Luers quickly determined
that the bottom end was making some bad noises.  So rather than risk
breaking any more parts, I retired.  That gave me the rest of the day to
watch Teddy drive.  I also was given credit for one school and lacked only
seat time for the second.
  All and all, it was a great experience.  Now if I can just find the money
to try it again, ...and again, ....and again!

Paul Kort
Ohio