Re: mystery of oil burning solved!

To: Greg Burrows <gregnvicki@earthlink.net>, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: mystery of oil burning solved!
From: "datsun parts.com" <datsunpartsdotcom@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 08:23:51 -0700 (PDT)
I don't know Greg ...that lacquered up rear bumper was kind of attractive in
it's antique sportscar way... Dean

Greg Burrows <gregnvicki@earthlink.net> wrote:Greetings list...
Most any of you who have seen my black 67 2000 at Shasta over the years
(except for the last two) might remember it burning oil. For over 8
years, despite 3 rebuilds, checks, disassembly of all components etc
etc, this problem has plagued my otherwise strong running engine. Well,
when this newest engine reached 1100 miles and was still blowing the
blues, I once again lost it and tore off the head. This time, I had a
different pair of eyes look at it. The only thing they came up with,
and they felt it was an extremely remote possibility, was that the thin
shims under the spring perch/seal combination that were used to set
assembled height on the exhaust valves were somehow not allowing the
seal to do it's job. These shims were used as they should be, so
nothing wrong was done originally. However, they went ahead and moved
the shims to a different location. Well guess what? The motor no
longer smokes! Eight years... 8 years of frustration is finally gone.
I just wanted to pass the info on in the hopes that no one else has to
suffer the kind of frustration I have with this engine for this reason.
No longer can I be counted upon to "kill the mosquitos" at Shasta.
Yea!!!!!
Greg Burrows
67 2000 #588 "I'm clean baby, clean!"