Re: Hood rust

To: "Gary Boone" <gaboone70@earthlink.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Hood rust
From: "Tom Phelan" <tomph@mchsi.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 19:42:14 -0400
Hi Ya Gary,
--------------
> I've had recurring problems with rust popping through on the leading edge
of my hood.  After grinding out the rust bubbles in one area, I found that
the rust is originating between the hood sheetmetal and the reinforcing
plate that's welded on the underside near the corner of the scoop.  It's
heavy scale rust with lots of metal loss.  I suppose the factory didn't take
adequate precautions to prevent this problem.  There are also other bubles
popping up on the leading edge remote from the reinforcing plate.  Anyway, I
found a NOS hood and am wondering if there is anything I can do to prevent
the problem, prior to having the new hood painted.
-------------

Had the same problem with the hood of the race car. Solution I took was to
drill out all the spot welds and dis-assemble the hood. Remove the nose
piece in front of the scoop and those re-enforcement pieces you talked
about. Removed as much of the rust as possible and then sand blasted what
was left. I then welded in replacement metal patches whre there was heavy
metal lose.

I then then primed all the parts with a self etching primer. The big problem
however comes when you weld everything back together. Any paint you put on
will blister off leaving a great place for rust to start again.

The solution I took was to remove the primer I just put on from only the
places where heat damage would result during welding. I then sprayed the
clean metal with 3M weld through primer. This primer will actually go
through a chemical reaction when heated by welding and coat the heated metal
with a zinc ( I think) plating. Supposedly this will prevent rust from
developing in the welded area.

We use this 3m product in the retoration shop here all the time. Seems to
work. Have not seen any rust form on any of the projects yet, but then,
it'll probably take another 10 ears or so before we know for sure. By then,
I probably won't care, if I'm still around. :-)

Good luck
Tom P