Re: OT-Big Brother is Coming to the UK

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: OT-Big Brother is Coming to the UK
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 14:12:27 EDT
I've been told that ford & gm actually **own** the box in your car too - &
you can do nothing about it. I'm sure i'ts not easily "user-removed" !!!
(after
forking out $30K, you'd think you actually would own the whole car- eh? -
shades of Microsoft here ?!?!?)

I've usually worked under the theory that w/ info like that, they will be too
busy monitoring everyone to "pick me out of a crowd" - but - it really does
make one think about the negative possibilities - one of those " it always
happens to somebody else" kinda deals. For all the good that systems like
"on-star" can be used for, it's a shame that it would be turned around on us.

I've seen a website where they are touting the black boxes as monitoring
devices for teen drivers... w/ warnings for "excesive maneuvers". Sounds good
on
the surface, (for a short time maybe?) but I fear it really removes the
hands-on learning experience of driving a car..... we can't all afford a trip
Bondurant to learn how to handle a corner !!! If a young driver is never given
the
opportunity to correct a sliding car - just think of how lousy/lazy a driver
he will be as an adult.

Also - the same company is extolling the benefits of knowing where your
teenager is - electronic baby sitter sorta thing. (Hey - wait a minute - don't
we
put monitoring bands on the ankles of CRIMINALS here in this country ????? ) As
the mother of two almost-teenage girls ( yikes  !!!) I refuse to let
something like that interrupt the trust that must be worked out on a human
level. Also
- (this is gonna sound bad, but think about it ) learning how to effectively
" get away with shit" is an important life skill !!!  (Where will all of the
future lawyers come from !!!)

<A
HREF="http://www.roadsafety.com/Teen_Driver.htm";>http://www.roadsafety.com/Teen_Driver.htm</A>

Datsun content :  that crap isn't in MY car !!!
<soapbox=down>

Laurie :-)
70 SPL311
AzROC