Head Shaving; 6 spoke wheels; Joe Spano / Clearwater Parts

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Head Shaving; 6 spoke wheels; Joe Spano / Clearwater Parts
From: Bob Porter <rlporter5@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 14:59:21 -0400
Roadster content - two questions:

1)     What is the max that a head should be shaved for a 2000 before it
is considered too far?  Assume the head is straight, no other problems,
etc.  This may be a two part answer in that what is the max prior to cam
tower shimming and post cam tower shimming.
2)     What experience does the list have with the 6 spoke 260/280 Z
wheels for use on roadsters (typically anodize gold)?  Fit, spacing,
appearance?

Joe Spano Parts Case - like a fine mystery novel - solved through effort
and the help of others - list culprits found

I'll keep it short here - email me offline if you need more details -
I'm happy to provide them.  I'm posting this because I received 38
individual requests for information about who pulled the rug out from
under my deal with Joe Spano, and the one and only negative post was
later retracted and the individual apologized to me once he understood
the situation.  Therefore, at your request I'm posting this limited
information here as an update and will supply further details only to
individuals that request it to save space and time.

Background - Joe Spano contacted me directly in January to see if I
would buy his warehouse of roadster parts in Clearwater - I live within
three hours of the parts - he moved to AZ some seven years ago and was
tired of paying $100 a month for storage.  A few weeks later he posted
the information to the list about the parts virtually in error due to
email problems.  I contacted Joe by phone, sealed the deal within hours
of his post, and posted back to the list explaining that I bought the
parts, and I asked the list members to please honor my arrangement with
Spano.  Check the archives if you are curious.

Through the use of an attorney and two investigators I confirmed that
two list members were responsible for sniping the deal.  After being
confronted with the facts, they admitted that they contacted Joe and his
71 year old father in Florida the day after my post and purposefully
beat me to the parts by a few hours with cash in hand.  They were aware
of my request with Joe and they chose ignore it.  They involved a third
non-list person and split the booty three ways.  The response to me was
"Tough, that's how it goes."

There was concern from some of you that it was a vendor.  It was not a
vendor in the traditional sense - all of our real vendors took the time
to contact me to express their concern.  One of the individuals
involved, who appears to be at the center of the whole shenanigan, a
ring leader of sorts on getting the Spano parts, does sell roadster
parts on eBay regularly so he is a vendor only in that sense.

I was taught to forgive and forget.  Roadsters and the such are supposed
to be fun.  I've moved on to having fun and I appreciate the positive
and supportive nature of this list. I feel sorry that some guys on the
list had to resort to this to get some parts.  I'm sure there is some
ancient roadster curse that will cause these parts to seize up and
corrode on them.

To those of you that had contacted me about getting some of these parts
- well, there are other parts out there to be found and they won't be
cursed!  I'm glad I have been able to share parts with some half dozen
of you in the last month that I no longer needed - more will come in the
future as I find them.

I'm done with these guys and these parts.  If you spot something on eBay
or somewhere on the list that you have a question about, let me know and
I'll share my thoughts about whether or not it came from the Spano case
or not.

Otherwise, good roadstering to all - and please send me a response on my
questions above - Thanks,

Bob Porter