RE: roadster brakes question

To: <SLBESQ@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: roadster brakes question
From: "Graeme Suckling" <graemes@saonline.com.au>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 11:01:03 +1030
1.    i assume that i need to replace the hard line to the driver's
side
front, because of the condition of the fitting.  if so, can i just buy
pre-made length of the proper diameter brake line at the auto parts
store and
bend then install it?  are those lines double-flared?  if not, can i
still
buy that pre-made line and add another flare, or must i start from
scratch,
and do both flares?  (i have some experience with flaring tools from
my days
in the pipe fitters union, but own none.).

**
If the pre made length is within a couple of " but longer than the
original it would be OK.
I wouldn't try the double flare trick, let a brake shop do it for you.
Brake lines should ALL be double flared.
If you buy a pre made length or individual fittings make sure the
flare nuts are the correct thread and slipped onto the pipe PRIOR to
flaring. Sounds obvious I know but it is trap.
My '65 SP310 uses 5/16 UNF threads at all of the flex-rigid
connections.
**

2.    must i bleed the master at this point as well?  given that it
nearly
emptied when i  disassembled the lines.

**
As matter of routine I suggest you allow the system to drain
completely when you fit the new lines.
Then refill the M/c with clean fresh brake fluid and give the whole
works a good flush through with the new fluid.
Bleed the system:- from the longest run to the shortest making sure
each wheel cyl./caliper gets a good dose of clean fluid through it.
Brake fluid does deteriorate over time taking in moisture thus
lowering its boiling point.
If you don't know how old the fluid is, replace it as above. It is
cheap insurance.
You might consider a higher boiling point fluid to improve brake
performance.
I use Lucas brand Grand Prix 600 which has a dry BP of 300 Deg. C and
a wet BP of in excess of 200 Deg. C.
If you have ever done any track work and boiled the fluid, you will
know the feeling you get in the pit of your stomach as the brake pedal
sinks straight to the floor!!!
It then becomes the GEEEEEZUS pedal.
**

Regards,
Graeme Suckling
1965 SP310 - under construction DSOA Member # 112
1971 P510 4 door - daily driver, original owner, highly modified.
1972 P510 2 door - in storage.
1973 HS30/240Z - re-building to 2003 specs.
Adelaide, South Australia.