Re: tight motor

To: "Andy Cost" <andycost@earthlink.net>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: tight motor
From: "Tom and Melissa Nash" <mltjnash@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 12:05:30 -0700
You should definitely be able to turn the crank and you should be able to do
it by hand (no breaker bar...I assume you have not installed the pistons and
rods yet).  Did you measure the clearance under each cap?  You may want to
check to make sure the surfaces where the caps and the bearings meet are
completely sanitary.  The smallest amount of grease or grit could bind
things up and still give you good clearance measurements depending on where
you place the plastigauge (sp?).  If it is still binding up, I would have
the crank re-checked.  Maybe install the bearings and caps and measure the
bores to check for out-of-roundness.  Was your block align-honed?