Progress: 1964 SPL-310

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Progress: 1964 SPL-310
From: "Dan Zubkoff" <datsun65@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2002 19:25:48 +0000
Hi Folks,

Thought I share some updates....

A few weeks back I purchased (sight unseen) a 1964 Fairlady 1500. I live in
the San Francisco area, but have the car stored down in the Los Angeles area
about 400 miles away.

This weekend, I drove down to LA to work on the car for the first time.

I filled my wife's mini-van with lots of Spare parts for the trip from SF to
LA. New original size battery (Thanks Mark & Tim), bought new tires, and
even brought a spare r16 engine down to LA for parts.

The first course of action on bringing this classic back to life is to
replace all Hydrolics...I mean everything ! Started with the brake system..6
Wheel Cylinders, Master Cyl, F/R Shoes/ Springs, Hoses & even a new drum.
Yikes...the SPL-310 brake parts cost a fortune!!

So...now with a new battery, a replaced a float in the SU, & some brakes I
actually took the 1500 for a spin. Hmmm...brakes worked great!! But, the
engine is way out of tune & the steering is pretty off.

Laughed my head off at some of the PO's fixes...Speaker wire for one of the
carb linkages, leftover rope under the car that was used as a tow bar!, and
of course...my favorite...a spark plug wire used for the coil.

So next step is a full inspection of the steering & front end. I'm guessing
that the steering box may need some help :(  Also, I'll need to replace the
clutch hydrolics (Master/slave/hose).

I also plan on purchasing one of Gary's EI's (The car is currently an r16
neg ground).

BTW: If you have a spare good condition steering box (69 and earlier) for
sale...let me know off-line.

Thanks,

Dan Zubkoff
San Mateo, CA