Upper Tensioner shimming...???

To: "Datsun Roadster List" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Upper Tensioner shimming...???
From: "Dwight Woodruff" <dwoodru1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 20:44:11 -0400
All,
    Based on looking at the picture at Gordon's site
http://www.gordon-glasgow.org/Evil_L.asp  What happens to the washers used to
shim the tensioner when the tensioner moves out?  Do they just float freely
along the cylinder?  I got some nylon washers to put in there, and was just
curious.  I have a new chain but an older tensioner, and I think it's slapping
up against the tensioner block, causing a really bad noise.  This is on an
almost brand new engine.  I hope this is the source of the noise, or else I
have to take off the whole timing cover to find it.

Woody
'69 2000 (was running for a little bit)