RE: How to measure if timing chain is in "spec"?

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: How to measure if timing chain is in "spec"?
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 20:54:01 -0700
The head should be 4.528-4.530" thick if it is more than .030" less than that,
definitely buy shims. They come in varying thicknesses, and the idea is to get
the total back to the original spec.

If you don't have a mike that big, or if you've already reassembled your engine
with new chains and tensioners, you can do a "pragmatic check" this way: Rotate
the engine backwards until the chain is taut on the tensioner side. Then push in
on the chain just below the cam gear. If you can push it in enough so that the
chain touches the upper bracket, you need to either shim the head (best
solution) or shim the tensioner (next best solution). Of course, shimming the
towers may require that you pull the head off again and take it to a shop to get
the cam towers lined up again. Sometimes the luck is good, sometimes it isn't.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA