Re: Pulsating Brake Pedal

To: <Beamonk@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Pulsating Brake Pedal
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 11:39:31 -0500 (CDT)
Pulsations generally mean that either a rotor is not of constant thickness
and when the pads hit the high spot they push back, causing the petal to
move up. Same for drum breaks if the drum is out of round. I suspect that
the dragging brake due to the de-bonding fof the friction material heated
up the drum enough so that when the brakes were applied that it distorted
the brake drum from round to oval. I hope there is enough material left to
turn the drum round again!

I had a similar problem with an old VW type 3. The liking on one rear
wheel got oil soaked and when I had to make an emergency stop it just
slowed down. I pulled up on the handbrake , which helped a bit, avoiding
an accident. After that stop the brakes pulsated until I had the drum
turned and replaced the soaked linings.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor/Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 University Station C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712-1188 USA