Re: Wiring repair methods

To: L Jordan <ay107@lafn.org>
Subject: Re: Wiring repair methods
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2002 15:23:07 -0500 (CDT)
Linda,

If there is any chance of vibration in the wire to be spliced, I.E. not
secured tightly with clamps to the body/frame, I don't recommend soldering
the connections. Think of a soldered connection as a solid piece of wire,
rather than stranded. Vibration will break the wire faster than a wire
spliced with almost any other means.

Crimped connections is what has been used on almost all automtive
connections for decades, so there must be a good reason (including speed
and cost). A crimped connection, if a quality connector and crimper are
used, is your best bet, but for just a few splices the cost will be high.
Almost any auto parts house has the standard yelloy, blue and red crimp
connectors, along with a stamped metal crimper for under $10. They are
marginal at best. To do the job right you need to use a higher quality
connector and the tooling that was designed for that connector. The best
type of tool is one that has a ratchet in it so you have to crimp to a
specific pressure before it will release. These crimpers generally cost
$50 to over $100 and only do one or a few different size connectors. If
you have just a few to do it would be cheaper to make a list of which
wires need to be repaired and stop by an automotive electrics repair shop
and see what they use for repairs. If they use the higher quality crimpers
and terminals/splices, get a price for having them do the work. If the
required splices are in wires that are needed to get you to their shop, go
ahead and use the cheap splices and they can cut them out when they do the
work correctly.

I always found that this was one of those times where I wished I had
purchased the tools years ago as it would have saved me a lot of grief in
marginal connections.

I am getting ready (next few months) to order some crimping tools for
evaluation and if they are decent I will post them to the group. I am
building a completely custom wiring harness for my roadster and will need
any number of connectors and splices.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor/Future planner, CS Dept,
University of Texas, 1 University Station C0500,Austin, Tx. 78712-1188 USA