Re: Transmission

To: "Jessica" <windsurfer@mindspring.com>,
Subject: Re: Transmission
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 06:33:00 -0400
I've done it several times.

I would examine the synchros and gears carefully in addition to replacing
the shaft and bearings. Since it's out of the car it may be prudent,
depending on the mileage and the driver, to replace the synchros or at least
flip them, especially second gear. Don't be foolish and not do it like I did
and have a synchro fail 3000 miles later.

If the countershaft bearings and shaft are shot, carefully examine the
counter gear as in my experience the counter gear gets chewed up as well as
the bearings. Also check the end play of the counter gear as the thrust
washers ocassionally get worn.

BTW, those cs bearings get chewed up quickly. Use Redline or synthetics
after the rebuild.

Upon replacing the shaft and bearings use heavy grease to hold the thrust
washers in place. It just takes patience. Hopefully you'll also replace all
the seals too including the small one in the speedo gear assembly.

It's not hard to rebuild the tranny, you just have to be inventive with
tools and take your time and possibly buy a few new tools.

Mike