Re: Over heating question

To: Eric Wittinger <ewittinger@Pixelworks.com>
Subject: Re: Over heating question
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 07:58:46 -0500 (CDT)
My 1600 had that type of problem. I found that if the water level got down
even an inch or so in the thermostat housing that it would overheat. It
could be a leaking cap, pressure tank, hose, water pump, heater core,
radiator or head gasket. Mine turned out to be the head gasket.

Most shops and some service stations have cooling system testers that can
pressurize the system and then you can look for leaks. They can also test
the sealing of the caps. If nothing shows up on the exterior of the engine
turn the engine over by hand at least a couple of turns to make sure that
you haven't forced coolant into one of the cylinders! You could also just
pull the coil wire and crank it over, but I prefer to do it by hand so I
can feel for fluid lock.

Peace,
Pat

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner