RE: Flywheel lightening

To: "Daniel Beatty" <Daniel@nowroc.com>
Subject: RE: Flywheel lightening
From: "Brian Hollands" <Brian_Hollands@adp.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 20:07:54 -0400
Pro's - less mass means less inertia so the mass can be accelerated more
quickly.
Con's - less mass means less flywheel effect so it's not as smooth.
My lightened flywheel weighs 15.5 lbs vs 22 for the stock 2L item.  I really
didn't notice much difference.  I don't have any problem with getting the
car rolling from a stop and I don't notice it being any more jerky than it
was before.  I have an 11 lbs flywheel and think that one might be more
noticeable in all of these areas but given what I experience with my 15
pounder I think 11 would be okay for the street.  I don't know that I'd go
less than that though.  A couple of guys - Gordon? - had run 6 lbs units on
the street but that's kind of extreme.

Brian '69 2000
Tampa, FL
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/oilleak/