Re: Front Spring Removal?

To: "Chris Gray Home" <grayc@rpi.edu>,
Subject: Re: Front Spring Removal?
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 19:41:32 -0700
Oh, you want PROPER.  Well, I'll tell you what I did anyway.

If you have stock springs (or GR2, or KYB GasAdjust - basically anything
except the Konis) you can remove the bottom circular plate (three bolts)
and the top bolt and the shock will slide down.  You may need to jack up
the car first but you'll also need to lift the wheel up as if the wheels
are hanging then it won't line up right to pull the shock out that way.

As for the springs, here's what I did.  First I put a floor jack under the
triangular bottom piece (that the circular piece above bolts to) so that it
just met it, not lifting it up.  Then I undid all four bolts holding it in
place.  Then the spring was dangling but would not come out.  I used the
patented "kick it until it breaks free" method, which worked but probably
isn't recommended.  Assembly is the reverse except no kicking required.  :^)

At 09:22 PM 6/13/2002 -0400, Chris Gray Home wrote:
>I'm just wondering what a proper procedure for removing the front springs
>and shocks might be?  or where can i find such info?
>
>Thanks,
>Chris

Adam Bradley
'70 Datsun 1600 Roadster SPL311-28181