A hearty THANKS and a really dumb question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: A hearty THANKS and a really dumb question
From: "Allen Blackmon" <orangedawg@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 16:22:37 +0000
To List,

I know the List has been ripped on a bit in the past few weeks, but I've
still got to say a HUGE thanks to ALL on it!!!  And in particular, to those
who have given me great advice on the brake lines and caliper pistons.
There will be many more questions as I, hopefully within a month, soon will
be putting the engine and trany back in my disassembled 2000.

Now, the stupid question.  I have not yet taken my pistons out of my
calipers, but will when I get home from work.  My question is:  What is
holding the piston in the caliper?  I get it that when you pump the brakes,
the pressure pushes the piston, and therefore the brake pad, onto the rotor.
  But how does the piston then retract when the brakes are not applied?  Is
it a vacuum?  Sorry about my INCREDIBLY moronic question, but I fully admit
I'm an idiot!

And THANKS again to ALL on the List!!!

Allen
1970 2000 disappointedly 2 months behind schedule