RE: Lower timing chain problem

To: "reblues" <reblues@reblues.net>
Subject: RE: Lower timing chain problem
From: "Brian Hollands" <Brian_Hollands@adp.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 2002 19:41:21 -0400
I had a bad lower chain too.  In my case a couple of links broke off on
either side of the rollers but the link pins stayed in place (thank God) and
the center link held the chain together.  I don't remember where I got my
lower chain from  but it failed in very short order.  There may be some bad
ones out there.
The only thing I can think of that wouldn't be obvious when looking at the
gears is making sure that they crank and large jackshaft gear are on the
same plane.  Put a straight edge over the two gears to see that they are
exactly on the same plane with each other.  You can adjust this with shims
that go between the crank gear and the first journal on the crankshaft.
Brian '69 2000
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/oilleak/