Re: Electrical questions??

To: Gerardo Magana <gmagana@softcom.net>
Subject: Re: Electrical questions??
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 08:40:12 -0500 (CDT)

Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Gerardo Magana wrote:

<snip>

> > I also have a temp gauge that goes right up to 240 degrees right away, not
> reading right
> STILL NEED HELP WITH THIS ONE
Disconnect the wire from the temp sender. (Left side of head, just below
the thermostat housing (1600) or Right side of engine on thermostat
housing (2000)). Check temp reading on gauge. If it is 0, the sender is
defective. If it still reads full you have either a defective gauge, or a
short from the wire to ground.  If it still reads full disconnect the
wire from the back of the gauge and see what you get.

> and
the ammeter shows it is charging as I rev the engine, it charges up to
> 30 amps, isn't that a little to high?? drops back dowb to 0 on idle
> STILL NEED HELP WITH THIS ONE
When you first start the car the ammeter will show a charge, generally
not 30 Amps, and certainly not for a long time. Is the battery fully
charged? If so, and the ammeter contrinues to show a 30A charge for more
than 30 seconds or so you could have one of two problems.
        The battery could have a shorted cell or the alternator is
putting out too much charge. Connect a volt meter across the battery and
start the engine. If the voltage is between 13 and 14.6 Volts the
charging system is probably good. If it is higher there is either a
defective component (alternator or regulator) or a bad connectio or wire
between the alternator and the regulator.

> Oil pressure gauge is not reading, how frustrating!!
> STILL NEED HELP WITH THIS ONE
Disconnect the wire from the oil pressure sender and ground it. With the
key on does the reading go to max? If so, the sender is bad. If not, there
is either a bad connection, or the gauge is defective. If you have a
mechanical gauge the problem could be a colapsed hose connecting to the
engine, a plugged steel line, or a defective gauge.

Good luck!

Peace,
Pat