Re: Miata seats/speakers/audio wizards.

To: Beamonk@aol.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Miata seats/speakers/audio wizards.
From: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 09:21:46 -0700 (PDT)
I have Miata seats and wired speakers in the headrests.  You cannot
connect two sets of speakers in parallel to one set of outputs.  You
will damage your stereo if you do this.

If by four channels you mean you have front left, front right, rear
left, rear right, then you have two options:

If you have a pre-amp output, you can connect an external amp and
connect one set of headrest speakers to the built-in outputs and one
set to the amp outputs.  This is the optimal way to do it.

Or, if you have a cheap stereo like me and don't have a pre-amp output,
you can connect the speakers in series.  The first wire goes to the
first speaker, then instead of returning directly to the stereo from
the second wire, it goes to the second speaker, then from there back to
the stereo.  I ran speaker wire from my stereo, connected to the L and
R +, into my first seat, connect to both speakers, then out both
speakers to my next seat, into both speakers, then out both speakers
back to my stereo L and R -.  I used a multimeter to make sure I
connected the wires to the correct speakers.

Shoot me an e-mail if this is unclear or you have any questions.

--- Beamonk@aol.com wrote:
> hey folks, i just got a free pair of Miata seats, cloth type,
> although  a
> little tall, they look great and seem pretty comfy. I was wondering
> about the
> seat speakers, it has 2 small speakers a seat. Could I hook up the
> 2+ and 2-
> terminals from the speakers to 1+ and 1- leads from the stereo?  what
> i am
> trying to ask is can I hook up the four wires from the seats to one
> channel
> from the stereo. I have four channels with the stereo and would like
> to run
> the seats and a pair of larger rear speakers.
> Thanks,
> John brasfield
> Preparing for Atlanta

=====