towing linkage details

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: towing linkage details
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 11:13:02 -0800
Michael and folks,
while the drive up onto the trailer must be a bit unnerving (I just bought
some ramps for the garage, it is a bit weird) the bolt that holds that
gripperwedge onto the ball is sized in order to absorb the shock loads from
the trailer wanting to nose up vs. the weight of the Pathfinder going down.
Sizing for shock loads makes the part oversized for gradual loading, like
you are doing, so your fine.  Safety chains are a must (but you already have
those, I'm sure) but so is seasonal removal of this bolt to check to see if
it is stretched or cracked or damaged. ('bout as often as you refill the
axle bearing grease is a good go-by)  This cracked bolt is one way that
trailers take a trip, no need to ask how I know.  Plus, always drive 2-3
miles then get out and re-check, as the hitch will settle with the first
rattles, and re-tightening may be necessary. (if it is not the clip-on
variety)
ahh, harkening to days of past life in the central valley during harvesting
season.
Fergus O, 69 2000, HB, CA