Re: 5sp Comp

To: Roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 5sp Comp
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 07:01:08 -0600
Fred,

Couple of different versions:

The early competition gear boxes had closer ratio gears.
4th gear was 1:1, with 5th gear being overdrive.
Two, or three?, versions of what gear ratio's you could
get.

The later competition gear boxes had 5th gear with 1:1
ratio. Ditto, four different gear ratios.

On the early gear boxes, some of the internal parts are
are pain in the rear to find!

On the later gear boxes, for a while you could snag some
real good deals on a "piece of #$#$%^!" gearbox. Ahem,
not sure how many showed up this way... but there were two
problems that left almost everyone scratching their heads
wondering. Seems they would "pop out" of third gear for no
reason. One was the shift fork rod didn't have enough
clearance counter bored into the housing, and then wouldn't
would also didn't have a vent to prevent pressure locking
the shaft. Since the boxes were new, a lot of ticked off
Comp racers were not happy. Not sure how many boxes were shipped
that way, but no doubt some are still sitting in the corners
of forgotten garages to show up on eBay someday! ;-)

Only way to figure out what gears are in the box, without
opening it up, is to put it into each gear. Spin the input
shaft while counting the output shaft revolutions.

Cheers,

Tom Walter