RE: Cable Lube

To: datsun-roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cable Lube
From: Robert Giel <giel@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 11:47:43 -0800
Like the rest of you, I'll go wherever needed to learn what
I need.  In this case, however, we can stay in the family
and find some useful information at a site dedicated to the
offspring of our roadsters.  Take a look at this Z-parts
site for their comments on speedometer cables and other
housed/sleeved cable controls:

http://www.zparts.com/zptech/articles/cable_lube/speedo%20cable%20repair.htm

I rarely get to contribute to this group, instead of take.
So, here is a cable lube tip that might be useful some day:

After proper cleaning and inspection of the cable and its
housing, take a paper cup and punch a hole in the bottom
just a bit bigger than the cable.  Do not simply use the
cable itself to punch the hole or the cup may act as a
squeegee and reduce the lubrication.  Put some of the
desired lubricant in the cup, (this is particularly good
when using very  messy graphite).  Place the mouth of the
housing up against the bottom of the cup and feed the cable
directly into the housing down through the lubricant and
hole in the cup.  Just throw away the cup when you are
finished.  There is much less mess, and the cable is well
lubricated.  Naturally, this works well with viscous
lubricants, as well, such as grease or anti-seize.

Hope this is useful.
.
Bob Giel
'66' 1600  SPL311-05249