My first Datsun Roadster

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: My first Datsun Roadster
From: Geegc@aol.com
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 21:10:34 EST
My first one, a 1600, was bought new from a Studebaker dealer on Sunrise
Highway in Long Island in 1966, off white, AM radio, tonneau cover, whitewall
bias ply tires, $2300 new.  I had the dealer switch the tires for Pirelli
Cinturatos for another $100 (a lot of money for me then).

Before I left NY I saw a 67 1/2 2000 with Solexes in Westbury, was tempted to
buy it but it was $3K, way too much.

The 1600 came with me to Berkeley in late 1967, got painted Burgendy in
California, moved to LA in 1975 and was redone in red in 1983, and was redone
again in red and beige in 1997.

It is now getting a new clutch (only the second after 36 years) with Victor's
help.

My second one, a black 1968 2000 solex, has not been as good a story, but it
too may soon be back one the road with a rebuilt engine and tranny.

All in all, I prefer the early 1600, and it prefers me.

Gary C