Re: Electrical Cleaning Ideas?

To: Daniel E McHatton <hallosb@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Electrical Cleaning Ideas?
From: Marc Sayer <marc@gracieland.org>
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2002 15:39:39 -0800
The absolute best way to clean electrical connectors is with white vinegar. Soak
the connectors in vinegar until the corrosion is gone then rinse thoroughly in
water. Follow this with a dousing in alcohol (the connector not you:-) and to
keep corrosion from coming back spray it down with a contact
lubricant/protectant/corrosion inhibitor. The vinegar is just acidic enough to
eat away the corrosion but is not strong enough to eat away metal. You don't
want to leave it in too long though as it may eat away the plating. You will
lose some plating no matter what as the corrosion has already done its damage to
the plating. This is why it is best to spay the connector down with some
lubricant/protectant/corrosion inhibitor because with the plating compromised,
the connector will corrode even faster. The vinegar will not harm the plastic.

--
Marc Sayer
82 280ZXT