kim's back, jackstands

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: kim's back, jackstands
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 10:21:16 -0800
Welcome back, Kim.
I'm with Gordon, the higher the better.  One thing that gives me the
willie's about it being so high is wrenching on stuck bolts and the
capability of getting it to tip over, which would be no bueno. (also a
concern when lying on your back underneath in earthquake country)  From my
old VW days, I 'appropriated' a railroad tie,(~18" x 18") and cut it into 2
foot lengths with a chain saw.  Then it seemed to have a safer footing, no
matter how hard I was tugging.  I guess this became more of a concern
recently because I bought one of those cheapo $18 hydraulic jacks, and found
that the rough pavement in my alley is so coarse that instead of the wheels
tracking underneath when I jacked my truck, the hoist pad (cheapo ones only
2" diameter, instead of 4") slipped on the smooth frame, until 'whammo' down
it came.  Luckily I had not removed the wheel, and it didn't catch on
anything, so it just bounced.  Sheepish lesson learned.
Fergus O, HB, CA