alternator move, now have vibes

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: alternator move, now have vibes
From: "O'Farrell, Fergus" <Ofarrell.Fergus@hitco.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 15:56:04 -0800
ref message from Adam Bradley:
<<added spacers so the triangle bracket moved forward>>,  <<If I had to do
it all over again  I'd get a non-smog water pump and pully, fan, shroud, and
crankshaft pulley so it didn't have to sit so far forward.  Now I've got to
figure out some way to isolate the alternator (rubber washers?) so the
vibration isn't transmitted through the car.>>

other approach: the slack from the play between the multi-spacers is
allowing the vibration.  If you insulate from the vibes, the vibes will
continue to chew at the alternator internals, whose bearings are not made to
take it (short part life... heck you'll wear belts out too).  Try going back
to anchoring the bracket as solid as possible, then fab one piece spacers to
shim/hold the alternator out in its' proper orbit.  (Roman used a deep
socket instead of washers, pretty damn clever, and really holds a shine!!)
Or, dismantle the alternator and figure out what the imbalance is, although
even bad vibes can be not too visually obvious.
just my .02,  Fergus O