'66' SPL311 questions

To: datsun-roadsters <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: '66' SPL311 questions
From: Robert Giel <giel@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 17:45:56 -0800
First, let me thank all of you for the wonderful information
and inspiration your messages provide. The arrival of the
datsun-roadsters digest is becoming a highlight in my day.
[GEEZ, I really need to get a life.]   It is also nice that
many of you are almost as crazy as I am!  |8^)

Regarding my early  '66' 1600: I was wondering if anybody
could answer a few "simple?" questions:

1.  A VIN ON THE FRAME ITSELF (not the VIN tag on the hood
ledge/firewall) is often mentioned on this list.  Where on
the frame is this number located?

2.  How do you hook up a hoist to the "R" engine and tranny?
I have a boom hoist (a.k.a. "cherry picker") and an engine
leveler. This engine-tranny combo has no lifting brackets,
no on-top intake manifold for hardware attachment, and an
aluminum head which I fear may be easily damaged.

So, considering safety, minimal damage to the car, and
maximum maneuverability (in that order), what is the best
way to grab this "R" engine for lifting?

3.  All of my slave cylinders (clutch and rear brakes) leak
horribly.  What texture should the internal rubber parts
(piston caps) have?  Soft, firm, hard? Flexible, semi-stiff?

I have many other questions and concerns but I dont want to
be a pest, so Ill try to spread them out a bit.

TIA, for any help or direction you can offer.

Bob Giel
-----

Remember: It's what you learn AFTER you know it all, that
really counts!

--
Life is short, Start with Dessert!
        and remember: