Reply: master cylinder rebuild

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: Reply: master cylinder rebuild
From: Fergus OFarrell <FOFarrell@qtww.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 11:22:57 -0700
Okay, problem solved.  Got the message below from a list member (good thing
I didn't 'vise' it, one could say that'd be un-ad-vise-able) so I dropped
the rubber piece in a cup of boiling water for 10 minutes, then wrestled it
part way on, back in the water, for wrestling rest of the way on with a
wooden stir stick.  Thanks for the assistance. (hope the check valve
mentioned wasn't the problem, if so I should have just sent the whole
shooting match for rebuild, but I think not because it wasn't brake fade
that made me remove it, but fluid coming out onto my feet)
Fergus O, 69 2000
The top hat at the end of the piston is pressed on.  There is a check valve
with a weak conical spring inside.  Be careful because I don't think that
the check valve comes as part of a rubber kit.  The stem for the check
valve goes into the slot in the piston and the pin/screw in the bottom of
the cyl opens it when the pedal is released.