late model master cylinder rebuild (dismantle question)

To: "'datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net'"
Subject: late model master cylinder rebuild (dismantle question)
From: Fergus OFarrell <FOFarrell@qtww.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 08:34:27 -0700
Master cylinder is out and apart. Bore looks smooth and clean (Yay!), but
there are two rubber elements (that fit into undercuts) to replace along the
shaft, one can be popped over the outer end, but one (inner) requires
removal of the aluminum knob, the return spring seating surface.  How do you
get the aluminum cup off? It seems to be held by a roll pin (spring pin),
visible thru the slot in the piston.  Just put it in a vise, twist and
remove?
If anyone has done this before, I have drawn a picture with the detailed
parts that I can send so we can talk to the same diagram, but I am fooled,
and don't want to damage anything.
Perplexed again,  Fergus O, 69 2000