RE: LSD test

To: <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: LSD test
From: "Gordon Glasgow" <gsglasgow@home.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 10:53:14 -0700
Short of pulling the unit out of the car and looking, there is no absolute way
to tell. But I think the best test is to put the car in neutral with the brake
off (of course), block the front wheels, jack up ONE rear wheel and try to turn
it. If it turns freely, it's probably an open diff. If you can't turn it, it's
likely an LSD.

Things that might affect this test are:
1. If the parking brake is misadjusted or if the rear brakes are adjusted too
tight, then it might create enough drag to fool you.

2. A worn-out LSD unit might not show any drag, or minimal drag.

Gordon Glasgow
Renton, WA