insulation

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: insulation
From: "Terry and Donna Cost" <tcost@vvm.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 23:32:21 -0500
Lowe's or Home Depot or similar stores sell rolls of plastic air bubbles
coated with aluminized Mylar as a lightweight, cheap insulation. You can
duct tape it to your floorboard, or glue it, then glue or duct tape carpet
to that.  You could even glue it to the carpet before you install it.  Duct
tape is less permanent if you want to customize the carpeting as you go.
Very flexible, very good thermal characteristics, good sound deadening,
gives a "plush pile" feel to the carpet.  If you tape it to the outside of
the car it gives you a special look no mere paint job could duplicate.  Rod
and custom shops put it in the roofs of old cars that came without
insulation, so a hot rod restoration place might also have it, probably at a
higher price than Lowe's. I had a hat I made from the stuff so my brains
wouldn't fry on top-down days in Texas, but it was too late.  I think
Californians wear hats made from the stuff to protect them from alien mind
control rays.  Maybe that's why I feel so happy-go-lucky driving the
insulated gray ghost....no aliens to tell me what to do.  For a slight fee I
will send you hat plans, and you furnish the foil insulation.

Only sseven more days until the TDROC Colorado trip.  I hope to see some of
you along the way.  I will recognize you by your funny little metal hats.

Leisure Suit Terry