Re: Towing continued

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Towing continued
From: Thomas Walter <twalter@austin.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 19:26:59 -0500
Andrew,

If you have a step bumper for a trailer hitch: USE IT!
You'd be all set.

Check the yellow pages for "DISCOUNT HITCH". It is a
franchise, common here in Texas. Good quality hitches,
and yes let them install it for $25.00.  Having all
sort of fabrication tools, it still took me a good
four hours to install one hitch.  Double check their
work.

Tow Bar: I've unbolted the bumper, and used "slightly
bent" bumper brackets. The brackets will bend over time,
so no need to use GOOD ones.  WIRE BRUSH the frame to the
bumper metal tab. The metal tab NOT MEANT for the use of
a tow bar, but if the welds are sound, and no rust present,
they will work. INSPECT every time you stop. We've seen
more than one roadster lost when the bumper to frame tabs
gave way!

To "adapt" the tow bar to the bumper mounts, all you need
is a angle iron. 2" x 3" x 3/16" (minimum). Drill and bolt
the hardware to mount the angle to the bumper mounts (use
four grade 8 bolts, 3/8" fine).  Ditto for tow bar to angle
iron (center the tow bar to the vehicle).  My tow bar came
from a "VW shop" and is meant for towing a dune buggy.
Worked fine for a 2000# roadster/510's that I have hauled
all over the place.

TOW DOLLY: Check clearance's with the roadster! Most
roadsters will sit too low on them, and the "ramp"
will pound the bottom or the rocker panel. Everything
moves when going down the road. Best to plan on renting in
the middle of the month, and explain you need it for
less than one day. Most folks move around the end of
the month, so near impossible to rent unless reserved.
The dealer doesn't want to loose a weeks rental by
holding it for only "one day rental". Target middle
of the month. Usually works best to "drive up" and
explain you take it by 8 am, and have it back by 5
or so. You still need to pay the 24 hour minimum, but
I had one dealer who gave me a good break as I got it
back two hours later.

FLAT BED TRAILER: Best way to go, but those UHaul monsters
weigh in around $2500 pounds. Way too heavy for a roadster
weighing 2000#, but not much choice. If the tow vehicle is
not rated to tow 5000#, they will not rent them out!

TRAILER LIGHTS: "Happy" is one mfg of those little plug in
adapters for specific vehicles. I am sure they have them
for S10's.

STOPPING DISTANCE & "PUSH" Don't overlook you have a full
ton of weight behind you. Take it easy, and slow!

AAA: Policy is only to tow a "stranded" Motorist. If you
KNOW the driver, and "tip" them $20 they might haul the
car for you. The flat bed tow trucks are ideal for the
roadster. [Ahem I once had a "MGB" towed to paint shop,
Pushed it out onto the curb and had a "Sunbeam" towed
home. Remember policy is only to tow a stranded motorist,
and not to move the same vehicle more than once to obtain
repairs.  The tow company gets only reimbursed a small
amount from AAA, so some drivers refuse to tow a car that
is "non-functional". A polite tip will motivate some drivers,
but not all.] Been a while since I used AAA - my information
is probably dated, but gives you a better idea of what to do]

Since I have dragged cars all over the place, with smaller
vehicles, the tow bar works best for me. If I tow a roadster
more than a few miles, then reinforcing those bumper to frame
mounts is recommended (they always should be inspected!).

For a "one time" moving of the car, have a flat bed tow
truck or trailer move the car for you. Cheap insurance!

Cheers,

Tom Walter  '68 2000
Austin, TX

Cheers,