RE: slipped crank pulley ?

To: "Stephan Sochoux" <sochoux@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: slipped crank pulley ?
From: "Brian Hollands" <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 19:44:22 -0400
I'm with Sid on this one.  The 2000 crank pulley is two pieces that are
press fit together with a rubber ring in between.  It is not normally
disassembled.  Over time the rubber deteriorates and can allow the outer
portion to slip relative to the inner portion.  Given that it sounds like
the car runs fine, the quick check is to scribe a line - I'd use a paint
marker - across the face of the crank pulley so that it marks the position
of the two pieces.  Start the car and drive it a bit, then check the mark
you made on the pulley.  If the lines aren't lined up anymore then the
pulley needs to be replaced.  The woodruff key could have sheared as well
but that is much less likely than the two pieces of the pulley/dampener
coming apart.
I wouldn't drive it like that for long.  Best case is that the outer portion
of the pulley just freewheels on the inner and you kill your battery while
overheating at the same time.  Worst case is that the outer ring walks off
the inner, which could be messy.
Brian