RE: 2L Chain Tensioner

To: "James M Koken" <james.m.koken@gte.net>,
Subject: RE: 2L Chain Tensioner
From: "Brian Hollands" <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 20:56:03 -0400
Supposedly an L series tensioner body and an R series plunger can be
combined to make a U20 lower tensioner.  I have not done it or seen it done,
only heard that it works.  I'm not aware of any alternative for the upper
tensioner.
Oil in the tensioner lubricates the timing chain through a hole in the pad
as well as helps to push the pad against the chain.  If the spring alone did
the tensioning the death rattle wouldn't stop when the oil pressure comes
up.
Brian