Basic Distributor Question

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Basic Distributor Question
From: jon_wissler@pngc.com
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 11:30:11 -0700
Why do I do this to myself.  My wife couldn't get the 2000 to start last
night and had it towed home.  Tried to kick it over this AM and it wanted
to start but wouldn't.  Checked the points and saw a "chunk" on one of the
contacts so decided to do a tune up first.  I was pulling the LONG skinny
bolt on the outside of the dist that the condensor connects to so I could
completely clean the contact.  I realize now that I must have removed the
backing on the inside of the distributor that the bolt uses for a thread
after it passes through the plastic block on the outer edge of the dizzy.
What the hell does this look like?  Where could it have gone?  There is a
space in the dist plate right below where this bolt passes through the
distributor body, and I fear that whatever the hell it was has fallen down
into the innards of the distirbutor.  Can anybody explain what I'm looking
for or have a good closup as to what it should look like?  HELP !!!