Re: cold air box fabrication-Elmers Glue

To: dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: cold air box fabrication-Elmers Glue
From: SPL311RDST@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 17:13:52 EDT
In a message dated 7/12/01 12:53:12 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu writes:

> ,
>     Well I thought the two part polyurethane foam would melt in acetone...
> Well the styrene foam is easier to get and cheaper...and I need to do the
> parafin wax trick anyways to get a smooth interior surface.  Willthe acetone
> eat the wax or do I just run boiling water through it.

  The two part polyurethane will probaly not be affected by the acetone.
(least ways the stuff I've used in making signs et c.)

  The answer is really simple and low-tech:

   Elmers Glue

or actually any PVA (polyvinylacetate) white glue will work. It will stick to
the foam well, resist polyester resin, and once you've dissolved the foam out
with acetone, hot soapy water will take the pva out.
  Once you have your form paint it with about 5 coats of Elmers.

  You can get any number of variations at the craft store, different
thicknesses and colors (which can come in handy for knowing that you've
covered ALL of the surface)
Conversely you can DIY with talcum powder as a filler and food colouring.

Do be careful when laying up your glass not to try to get too many layers on
at once. while the glue will keep the resin from attacking the foam, it won't
do anything to prevent the heat of the reaction from melting it.

 Or you could just stop screwing around and use epoxy resin
(www.westmarine.com) and not worry about it

Mark not
Laurie :-)
70 SPL311