Re: Slick 50

To: "Datsun Roadsters" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Slick 50
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2001 14:16:39 -0700
On 7/11/2001 "Terry and Donna Cost" <tcost@vvm.com> wrote:

I put Slick 50 in the gray ghost as it's first oil after being rebuilt.
 It has smoked from day one, and there's nothing I can do about it.

<snip>

Hi Terry,
You can try rebuilding it again...

(I know the following might not apply to the gray ghost, but might be
useful for other roadsters during rebuilds.) Did you clear the ring
landings on the pistons? Take a broken ring and use it as a tool to
scrape out the landings (hopefully without gouging the metal in the
grooves). When I did mine, I found some small metal fragments embedded
in the ring landings - those could potentially affect the ability of
the rings ability to seat properly. And as Laurie mentioned, orient the
three rings so their gaps are not in alignment, like 120 degrees
offset. And when you honed the cylinders did you thouroughly clean out
the grit with solvents and hard wiping? Otherwise that grit will do
harm to your rings and cylinders.

Then use an ordinary 5-30 or 10-30 oil (if it's really a rebuild the
block and head should have been cleaned so detergent oil wouldn't
matter). Run the engine for a while (an hour or two of light driving),
then change the oil and the oil filter. I know it sounds like a waste
of oil but that first change will get rid of contaminants from the
rebuild. Use ordinary oil for the first 200 to 1000 miles.

Then change to a synthetic oil. I've heard different figures for the
first oil change - 200, 500, 1000 miles - it's all the same depending
on how you break in the engine. I really don't know what is "right",
just that I varied the rpm's during my engine's break-in for the rings
to seat, and changed to synthetic around 900 miles. I waited that long
because I drove to Southern California right after the rebuild and put
over 700 miles on it during that trip. This included some spirited
driving over 100mph. No smoke, even after several thousands of more
miles. (This advice given is what I've gotten from others, and it's
worked for me.)

Fred - So.SF
'66 Loosie