June 30-July 1 race weekend

Subject: June 30-July 1 race weekend
From: Christopher Coker <cfcoker@home.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2001 21:53:18 -0400
We had a very good weekend at Waterford Hills this past weekend.

I was hoping to get to the track on the Wednesday before, but problems with
the trailer caused me to miss the practice day.  So, I had no time to test
the rebuilt transmission or test the new tires.

The new Avon slicks were great.  I was instantly almost 2 seconds a lap
faster, and had much better control over the car.  We were able to take some
camber out of the front end after measuring tire temps.  The car is
extremely stable under braking, and I'm consistently out-braking the spec.
racers in my race group.  The car is great through the corners, and shifts
like a dream now.  I now need to start looking at carburetors, since that's
where I'm losing lot's of time on the track.  The car is way too rich and
bogs heavily between 4000-4500 rpm, and I can't rev it much past 6000 until
it starts to cut out.  I think the later may be a timing problem, which I'll
investigate this week.  I'm hoping to get my carbs sorted out before the
next race weekend, July 21-22, again at Waterford Hills.

Due to my competition's reliability problems, and problems with traffic
during the races, I was able to take all three wins, despite the fact I
pulled into the pits early during the last race when a plug wire slipped
off.  When my carbs are working better, my lap times will be approaching
those of the slower competitive car in my class.

I'd like to extend special thanks to Ross Mullen at Sports Imports who was
instrumental in getting parts I needed to rebuild the transmission shipped
to me right when I needed them.  For those who remember my transmission
problem (lost 1st gear), the main culprit was a well chewed up coupling
ring.  So with new coupling rings and synchro parts all around, things are
shifting nicely.

Happy Roadstering,
--
Chris Coker