Re: painting questions -orange peel

To: "Dan Neuman" <dneuman@quark.sfsu.edu>
Subject: Re: painting questions -orange peel
From: "Wayne Loomis" <detailproducts@mindspring.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 11:16:30 -0700
Daniel

As stated earlier, you will most likely always have some orange peel after
painting.  Even professionals plan on color sanding.  Orange peel results
from incomplete flow out of the wet paint.  It can be too fast a reducer for
the ambient temp., too little paint applied, waiting too long between coats,
etc.

Color sanding used to be a 600 & 800 grit job which cut the paint very
quickly.  Now we start with 1000 grit and work through 1200, 1500 and
sometimes even 2000.  All the work is done with 1000.  Make sure you cut
only to the bottom of the depression between orange peel stipples.  Then use
the finer cuts to remove the previous grit marks.  Sand in perpendicular
directions with alternate grits.  If you start north/south (back & forth not
circular) with 1000 then you will go east/west with 1200 and north/south
again with 1500.  Sand until you remove all the previous grit's scratches

You decide which grit to stop with.  The finer the sanding mark the less
agressive the compound.  If you stop with 1000 you need the most aggresive
compound (3M Super Duty 5954).  If you go to 1200 or 1500 you can use a less
aggresive compound (3M Perfect-It II 5973).  If you go to 2000 or after any
compounding step, use Finnesse-It II (3M 5928) which is a cleaner glaze to
remove the final compounding marks.  NOW YOU HAVE GLASS!

Wax after the paint is well cured 45 to 60 days

As you may have guessed from my E-Mail address, I sell all these products.
The advice is always free.