Re: more ??? for the gurus

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: more ??? for the gurus
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2001 10:24:56 -0500
>Dave Mehl:

> I am now at the point of deciding whether or not to balance the crank. Is
> this a worthwhile thing to do? Additional cost is $165.00 and I am tempted
> to do it since I have reached that point in the rebuild. However I don't
> want to throw $$$ to the wind either.

I say a lot depends on the way you plan on driving the car, but in general
balancing is always a good idea. I wouldn't do just the crank. You want the
whole rotating assembly (crank/rods/pistons/flywheel) balanced, as
individual pieces, IMO, so that replacing one part doesn't require redoing
everything. Everything else considered a properly balanced engine is
smoother, revs quicker and maybe a bit higher.

Having said that, I would expect to pay maybe $200 max to do everything.
$165 for just the crank is way high, in my experience anyway.

HTH, Ron

Ronnie Day
ronday@home.com
Dallas/Ft. Worth
'71 510 2-dr (Prepared Class Autocrosser)
'73 510 2-dr (Street Toy)