Re[2]: MP3 players

To: Roadster List <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re[2]: MP3 players
From: Fred_Katz@ci.sf.ca.us
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:53:01 -0700
On 6/20/2001 Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com> wrote:

<snip>
>There are at least three types of MP3 players,
>
>1) Fixed hardware - You download the MP3s from your computer directly
>to RAM in the player. To change the play list you have to reconnect
>(physically) to your computer.
>
>2) Removable cards - You D/L the MP3s to memory cards which can then
>be swapped in and out of your player. You may, or may not, need a
>separate card reader attached to your computer.
>
>3) CD Players - There are both in-dash and portable CD players that
>will play both music CDs and MP3 CDs. You can rip (convert) any audio
>files you can get into your computer into your computer into MP3
>form, build a play list of these files and then burn them to a CD.
>You need a CD burner of course. On a (newer) Mac you can use iTunes
>and Disk Burner or Toast. On a PC there's Easy CD Creator and a
>number of other ripping and burning apps.
<snip>

I think Thorn here in the SF Bay Area has a 4th type of MP3 in his
roadster. He's demonstrated it to the BADROC crowd. He has a PC rigged in
his trunk connected to the playback unit at the dash. And he has a
transmit/receive antenna array for a satellite connection, so he can pull
content from the entire Internet (and from his home MP3 collection). This
guy has the best gadgets. (Steve - have you seen it?)

Fred - So.SF