a few quirks (read: problems)

To: "Roadster List \(E-mail\)" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: a few quirks (read: problems)
From: "Christopher Dunn" <christopher-dunn@home.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 03:32:12 -0700
ok guys, here goes:
  i got the roadster (a 66 with a 69 engine) and had a blown head gasket.
fixed that, no prob. now my main problem is that, for the most part, none of
the gauges work. the tach gives a rough estimate of rpm, but bounces alot.
other than that, no other gauges work. i attempted to takle the speedo
tonight. get under the car, the sppedo cable isn't quite hooked up to the
tranny right. easy fix....or so i thought. for one reason or another, the
little gear type box that's on the end of the cable (the things that makes
it able to turn 90 degrees) doesn't want to seat right and will fall right
off. so i say screw it, i can hook it up directly without it, there is
enough play in the cable. after a little work, it goes on, got everything
lined up right, then i go to check the back of the speedo. everything's good
to go there too, so, time for a test drive. IT DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!!!!!! wth
is going on? did i make the roadster gods mad or something???? anyone with a
clue as to why this is happening, let me know. thanks........Chris
p.s. it's strange how all the bulbs work for the instrument panel, but not
the gauges themselves....